Author Topic: Best Meds to Reduce Neuroinflammation  (Read 2901 times)

girlinthesnow

Best Meds to Reduce Neuroinflammation
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:42:02 AM »
What are the best meds to reduce neuro inflammation?

I take  loads  of supplements:  omega 3 oil (with some omega 6 or I get hard as rocks breasts),  curcumin, high dose co q 10, glutathione, toconutrinol, teavigo, cats claw, vit D3 .........  and the neuro-inflammation is getting rapidly worse. 

LDN is at the top of my possible meds  list, any other ideas?

Thanks !

Natasa

Re: Best Meds to Reduce Neuroinflammation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
minocycline/doxy

btw some of the supplements could be making things worse for you, maybe try removing them first see what happens. I'm not suspecting any one in particular, though vitD should be first to look at imo.

girlinthesnow

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »
Thanks Natasa ,  Vit D sounds a good suspect, have  just started  glutathione and read it should be taken with Vit D3, so increased the dose from 1000 - 2000 iu to 3000 iu.  Glutathione seemed to work almost immediately, within 20 minutes my brain felt clearer  but have slid downhill fast in the 6 days since.

Seem to be in a crash anyhow,  Bp is at 84/45, lots of fibrillation. 

WestOzGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:47:59 AM »
I would describe my ME/CFS to be mild-moderate.
About 8 months ago, I was prescribed doxycycline for 2 weeks, and after one week I had the worse flare of all my symptoms. It was very scary as I've never been this sick before. Luckily, after several weeks I returned to my regular ME/CFS baseline.
In the future, I would be hesitant to take this class of antibiotics again.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" T.R.
"Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds" A.E.

garcia

• I love to count!
    • GcMaffed
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
btw some of the supplements could be making things worse for you, maybe try removing them first see what happens. I'm not suspecting any one in particular, though vitD should be first to look at imo.

I'd agree with Natasa. Sounds like it might be the D which is causing the flare-up. I know if I go too high in D I get similar symptoms.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein
GcMaffed

froufox

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
Hi girl, sorry you're feeling rough! yes I would agree with Natasa and Garcia and would be suspicious of the vit D. I also get a LOT more neuro inflammation when I take too much vit D for example 4000iu for more than a few days, but i couldnt even tolerate 400iu at one point and had to build up very very slowly, so i guess it is also what level your body has become accustomed to.

I guess cats claw might also cause die-off/herxing too so could be a problem?

Ive been taking glutathione recently too and I dont feel the same kind of inflammation flare with that as i do with the D, though of course we are all different!

Hope the inflammation calms down a bit soon!
"I'm not a CFS Dr, but...Absolutely convinced when you define this by proper criteria, it's a very serious, medical disease. Characteristics of a viral disease. If it's NOT XMRV, we must continue the research to find out what is." Dr Harvey Alter

Come back Chinese water torture, all is forgiven!!

Natasa

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:05:32 AM »
About 8 months ago, I was prescribed doxycycline for 2 weeks, and after one week I had the worse flare of all my symptoms. It was very scary as I've never been this sick before. Luckily, after several weeks I returned to my regular ME/CFS baseline.

Sorry to hear that! Wondering if it could have been some type of herx for you, or even if it set of IRIS?

jace

• Jane Clout
    • peoplewithME
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »
This might be a very stupid question, but how would people describe the symptoms of neuro-inflammation? 
IinME  All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. MEactionUK

Summer

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 01:01:09 PM »
What are the best meds to reduce neuro inflammation?

I take  loads  of supplements:  omega 3 oil (with some omega 6 or I get hard as rocks breasts),  curcumin, high dose co q 10, glutathione, toconutrinol, teavigo, cats claw, vit D3 .........  and the neuro-inflammation is getting rapidly worse. 

LDN is at the top of my possible meds  list, any other ideas?

Thanks !

Vit D3 for sure could be increasing inflammation.  Keep the one you have to have, stop the others and add back one at the time.  I have had to do this many times to figure out what might be making me worse. 

sarah

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:11:04 PM »
The COQ10 could also be a culprit if you are into Cheney's heart testing of supplements. I think it helps some people and not others. I don't think I've ever had a problem taking it, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Summer

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
The COQ10 could also be a culprit if you are into Cheney's heart testing of supplements. I think it helps some people and not others. I don't think I've ever had a problem taking it, but I wouldn't rule it out.

CoQ10 in an hypoxic environment can actually increase oxidative stress. It's another that does not test well on echo and one bit makes me real sick.  I'm very sensitive.

What does better and tests well on echo is Idebenone, synthetic CoQ10.  It got me off my death bed.  I had to start very slow.  It took me over a year to work up to how much I take now.  I get mine at Smart nutrition.  One brand Idebenone I tried was cheaper but may as well have been water. 

Idebenone is far cheaper than CoQ10 and takes way less to do as much antioxidant activity. 

garcia

• I love to count!
    • GcMaffed
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
CoQ10 in an hypoxic environment can actually increase oxidative stress. It's another that does not test well on echo and one bit makes me real sick.  I'm very sensitive.

What does better and tests well on echo is Idebenone, synthetic CoQ10.  It got me off my death bed.  I had to start very slow.  It took me over a year to work up to how much I take now.  I get mine at Smart nutrition.  One brand Idebenone I tried was cheaper but may as well have been water. 

Idebenone is far cheaper than CoQ10 and takes way less to do as much antioxidant activity.

I've found the opposite. I do ok with Q10 (although no amazing benefits either). But Idebenone seems to ramp up my energy production and cause a lot of Adrenal stress, leading to a crash.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein
GcMaffed

Summer

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »
I've found the opposite. I do ok with Q10 (although no amazing benefits either). But Idebenone seems to ramp up my energy production and cause a lot of Adrenal stress, leading to a crash.

Garcia, a few ME patients do do well on CoQ10, so one must experiement and be very clued in to their body.  I am extremely hypoxic.

One thing about Idebenone, I cannot stress how potent it is, and it can cause very strong detox.  I had to start on 1/8 cap a day and work up over a year to a reasonable daily dose. I did not tolerate a speck of CoQ10 of any brand, type or form.  I knew I needed the support for my mitochondria (heart), and Idebenone saved my life.  I am not advocating it for everyone, but it's my experience with it.

Other family members are taking it for various things and to a one they cite it as the thing that helped them the most.  I won't elaborate, but CoQ10 did nothing for them, but they had improvements on Idebenone.  They had conditions that resulted in being hypoxic. 

girlinthesnow

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »

Based on what was posted here, I missed out all my supps today and  inflamed head has improved  :) Thanks guys !!! I'll try Co Q10 on its own tomorrow and see.    It does look like the extra pill of Vit D3 is the culprit, had no idea that so many PwME have trouble with this one.

Jace, here is my entirely subjective definition of how neuroinflammation feels.  As though my brain is attached to an electric socket and is literallly being fried, overheated and in  extreme pain, not able to think and attempting to think causes more pain.  Usually accompanied by nausea and neuropathy.  It is different from a migraine, it is an electrical feeling and knowing if I try to think it will get worse.

Summer is there a test for hypoxia ?  What can  you do to lessen the symptoms of hypoxia?

garcia

• I love to count!
    • GcMaffed
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 04:27:43 PM »
Garcia, a few ME patients do do well on CoQ10, so one must experiement and be very clued in to their body.  I am extremely hypoxic.

One thing about Idebenone, I cannot stress how potent it is, and it can cause very strong detox.  I had to start on 1/8 cap a day and work up over a year to a reasonable daily dose. I did not tolerate a speck of CoQ10 of any brand, type or form.  I knew I needed the support for my mitochondria (heart), and Idebenone saved my life.  I am not advocating it for everyone, but it's my experience with it.

Other family members are taking it for various things and to a one they cite it as the thing that helped them the most.  I won't elaborate, but CoQ10 did nothing for them, but they had improvements on Idebenone.  They had conditions that resulted in being hypoxic.

Thanks Summer. Idebenone sounds very interesting. I may well try it at a lower dose and see. You are right, it is certainly very powerful stuff, much more so than Q10.
GcMaffed